The Prattsburg Free Library is currently seeking candidates for the position of Part-time Per Diem Library Clerk.
This position is a per diem, varied schedule position.
- May require days, evenings, and weekends. Refer to our hours of operation.
- Guaranteed 4 hours per week, up to a maximum of 12 hours.
This is routine clerical work in a library involving basic support services and services to patrons.
Work involves responsibility for routine circulation, shelf maintenance and clerical functions using automated circulation system. Duties include charging books in and out, shelving library materials, data inputting, and telephone answering. This position is also invested with making beginning level library clerical decisions. The work requires that the employee have some knowledge, skill and ability in library clerical functions.
Works under the immediate supervision of the Library Director.
Examples Of Duties
- Charges books, DVD’s and other library holdings in and out at the circulation desk and collects fines using an automated circulation system.
- Replaces books, DVD’s and other library holdings on shelves according to library shelving sequences.
- Discharges incoming library materials using an automated circulation system and inspects them for damages.
- Performs routine library computer functions.
- Operates a variety of standard office and library machines.
- Answers telephones and provides routine information or refers and transfers calls.
- Assists in assuring accurate library shelving by shelf-reading and reshelving of materials, as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Some knowledge of library clerical procedures and practices.
- Good knowledge of clerical practices.
- Some skill in typing and the ability to do data entry using a computer terminal.
- Good ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Good ability to pay attention to detail.
- Good ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, associates and the general public.
A high school diploma or the equivalent and some experience in using libraries, OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience substituting on the basis of one year of experience for each year of education.
Applications are available at the Circulation Desk during library hours. Please send your completed application with a resume and a list of three references to Beth Staff, Library Director, P.O. Box 426, Prattsburgh, NY 14873 no later than March 25, 2017.